Recovering a “Suspect” Database in SQL Server 2008

Today I broke my SharePoint development environment by shutting down the SQL Server forcibly and corrupting my transaction logs, making the databases show in Management Studio show as “Suspect”. Thankfully this was a development environment and not our live environment! After a lot of googling and perseverance, I managed to cobble together a solution to get my databases back online and continue to work.

The best way to recover from this issue is to restore from a Backup. Stupidly I didn’t have a good backup available for the databases in my Dev environment.

I DO NOT recommend this method on a live system!!!

To recover the database, which involves rebuilding the transaction log I executed the following query in Management Studio. Obviously change the database name to reflect your own database name.

USE master
GO
ALTER DATABASE [DB_Name] SET EMERGENCY
GO
ALTER DATABASE [DB_Name] SET SINGLE_USER;
GO
DBCC CHECKDB ([DB_Name], REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS) WITH NO_INFOMSGS;
GO
ALTER DATABASE [DB_Name] SET ONLINE;
GO
ALTER DATABASE [DB_Name] SET MULTI_USER;
GO

Again I stress, DO NOT sue this method on a live environment.

Fullscreen flash videos freezing in Ubuntu 10.10

What’s up guys? I know its been a while since I posted anything… My baby boy Jake Daniel is here now though and he’s lush!!!

So a few weeks ago I decided to install Ubuntu on my laptop and virtualise Windows 7 in virtualbox. All went well except for one little bug that is highly annoying… Flash videos freeze or hang when they are opened in fullscreen mode.

After lots of googling and a few broken fixes, I have found this to be the most effective way of fixing this problem.


sudo mkdir /etc/adobe
sudo echo "OverrideGPUValidation = 1" >> /etc/adobe/mms.cfg

Apparently this is down to flash trying to use hardware acceloration and failing miserably, like flash tends to do anyway.

Well there you have it, hopefully this will help some of you out.