SharePoint 2013 Product Configuration Wizard hangs on step 9 of 10

I was patching a SharePoint 2013 farm recently and all was going great while installing the CU’s on the servers. Once all of the patches were installed, I started to run the SharePoint 2013 Products Configuration Wizard on the first WFE server, which went without an issue. The second WFE server seemed to be running fine too, getting to step 9 out of 10. It was on this step for about an hour when I went home for the evening (this is a test environment). The next morning, it was still at the same stage.

Initially I reboot the server and tried again, but got the same results. To remedy this issue, I performed the following actions.

  1. Open services.msc
  2. Stop the SharePoint Timer Service
  3. Browse to C:ProgramDataMicrosoftSharePointConfig
  4. Open the folder with the newest date modified on it.
  5. Delete all files from the folder except for cache.ini
  6. Open cache.ini and change the number within to any random number ensuring it has the same number of digits as the original. I went with 12345.
  7. Run the following command from an elevated command prompt – Psconfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force

After that, the server was updated and ready to serve content again.