I ran in to an issue today that had my head battered for a good half an hour before turning to Google.
The issue involved opening documents, which happened to be in my SkyDrive Pro library, with Office Web Apps. The apps threw different errors, listed below;
Word Document : “Sorry, there was a problem and we can’t open this document. If this happens again, try opening the document in Microsoft Word.”
Excel Document: “We couldn’t find the file you wanted. It’s possible the file was renamed, moved or deleted”
PowerPoint: “Sorry, we ran into a problem. Please try again”
One Note:”Sorry, you don’t have permission to edit this notebook.”
After an hour of Googling and trawling through false positive results (thanks to Microsoft’s genius idea of keeping the “SkyDrive Pro” brand the same in hosted and on-premises SharePoint farms) I found a blog post (linked below) that shone some light on my issue. It also made me realize that the issue wasn’t local to SkyDrive Pro as well.
I turns out that the issue was down to the fact that I provisioned Web Apps using SSL, and the SkyDrive Pro library wasn’t using SSL. This caused OAuth not to function on the http site. Web Apps, being https, didn’t much like this and shit itself. Oh well.
The resolution is either to enable SSL on all SharePoint sites that Web Apps should be accesible in, or simply allow OAuth over http (detailed below.)
Run the following PowerShell script in SharePoint Management Shell on your SharePoint box(es.)
$config = (Get-SPSecurityTokenServiceConfig)
$config.AllowOAuthOverHttp = $true
Credit for this solution goes to ms_dynamics.